As a common naturally-occuring Earth substance, coal is an ever-present staple in homes and manufacturing companies. It even found its way in beauty products. Although it’s used primarily for generating electricity, coal is also used to produce steel, silicon metals, and carbon fibre. It’s really coal’s usability that makes it a lucrative product. This is the reason coal mining areas, such as Kestrel coal mine, have been operating for many years already.
But how big is the business opportunity of Kestrel and other mining areas?
Australia’s Export Coal Market
There are coal mines in every Australian State, the biggest of which are in Queensland, Victoria, and New South Wales. In a span of 5 years (from 2005-2010), Australia’s coal production increased by 13.6%. And in 2018, the country produced 300 million MT of oil equivalent. Where would all these metric tons of coal get shipped to? Local factories eat a share of all this Kestrel coal weight. The remaining products get transported to Japan, India, Taiwan, Korea, and China.
Safety Features All Coal Mines Should Have
It’s not a secret that coal mining is dangerous. But operators only need to strengthen the safety measures to make the site safer for miners. This is also a way to protect the company and the local community. Whether you’re looking for a job or are planning to do business in this industry, be sure to be aware of the following safety guidelines:
- Safety gears and equipment – Dust, UV exposure, noise, and the hazards of chemical handling are the leading causes of work-related accidents in the mining sector. What’s common among mining sites, such as Kestrel, is the availability of safety equipment and gears for ground personnel.
- Regular health assessment and trainings for miners – Raising awareness is the first step in preventing accidents. It also helps to have your miners undergo Fit-To-Work assessments. Visit at Kestrel Coal
- Streamline communication systems – There has to be a reliable communication system for miners to use, especially in times of emergency. At Kestrel coal, for instance, there are Leaky feeder radio communications systems, pager phone system, VOIP) telephone solution, and a central communications center.
- Implement guidelines and compliance strictly – Strict implementation can save more lives than mere talk ever could.
- Implement innovative mining technologies – Upgrade your equipment if you need to. Remember it’s best to take advantage of smart, eco-friendly mining technologies. In fact, Kestrel coal and other mining areas are now using new devices for seismic waves detection and communication. And equip your miners with better tools to do their work more effectively.
The lives of miners are as important, if not more valuable, than coal. Hence, the need to uphold safety on site. Besides, mining site safety is also part of the employer’s legal obligation.
The Australian coal mining industry is indeed a booming one, as it sees more local and international market. Like Kestrel Coal Resources, other mining sites now adapt new ways of operations to make coal production even more efficient and safer.