5 Fire Safety FAQs if You Want to Run a Budget Accommodation Building in Queensland

In 2018, Queensland hit the five-million mark in terms of population. This makes the territory and its capital, Brisbane, some of the fastest-growing places in Australia. It also means the demand for budget accommodation building is high. If you have an idle commercial property or want to take advantage of the need, you can get into the business. Before you do so, however, know the fire safety rules. You can learn more about them here: https://www.yesfire.com.au/.






To begin the learning process, here are basic FAQs:


  1. What is budget accommodation building?


It refers to a commercial establishment with rooms and shared facilities. These can include the kitchen and the bathroom. The rooms may be for individual occupants or a group of people.


Based on this definition, hostels, shared houses, and bed and breakfasts are budget accommodation businesses.


Most of these are near or within the city centre, where transportation and public amenities and services are more available or accessible.


It’s not unusual, however, to find them in the countryside, where farms and orchards are. Business owners may use them as temporary housing for their labourers and seasonal fruit pickers.


  1. What are the rules when it comes to fire safety?


Whether you’re a building owner, manager, or occupier, it is your responsibility to be familiar with the laws that govern fire safety, especially in Queensland. You need to keep in mind at least three:

  • Queensland Development Code
  • Building Fire Safety Regulation 2008 (BFSR)
  • Fire and Emergency Services Act 1990 (FESA)


Note it’s possible for local councils to pass ordinances or change existing regulations, so it’s essential you keep yourself updated with what’s happening in the community.

  1. What do you need to comply with Queensland’s fire safety standard?


To meet the standards for fire safety, you need to have:


  • Adequate warning or alarm systems
  • Emergency lights
  • Exit doors
  • Management plan for fire safety
  • Fire-fighting equipment


Whether your fire system is simple or complex, make sure a certified professional does the work.


  1. Do you need a fire safety adviser (FSA)?


Most of the budget accommodation buildings would need one since they fit the description of a high-occupancy establishment. They are also prone to overcrowding, so the risks of death or injuries during a fire are very high.


For a person to become an FSA, they need to attend a certification course and pass it. They should do so within the last three years.


This person doesn’t need to be part of the staff, but it’s ideal if they are. It’s also possible to have more than one FSA, especially if the building has a lot of units or is already a complex.


  1. How often should be the fire safety inspection?

It’s possible for the government to conduct multiple fire safety inspections in a year, especially if the establishment has a fire history or has multiple complaints from the occupants. Visit Yes Fire to learn more.


To avoid fines and on-site notices, it’s best to let a professional conduct a site audit.


Non-compliance can hurt your business in so many ways. These include significant monetary losses and damaged reputation. Don’t let your budget accommodation building dreams crash before they can take off. Make fire safety right even from the beginning.